Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wendi's La La Lasagna

Not long after I was married, I bought a Stouffers Lasagna. I popped it in the oven for dinner. It was easy. It was not great. I knew there must be better. Over the years I have made many lasagnas. I have added and changed the ingredients. I never composed a recipe. I also never made another Stouffers. (sorry Mr. Stouffer) This is the recipe I used for dinner tonight and may I say, it was de-de-de-licious!!!

Meat sauce:

2 lbs. Hamburger ( cooked and drained)
1 clove of garlic ( or 1/2 tsp. minced garlic)
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Basil
2 Bay Leaves

Other Ingredients:

1 container of Ricotta cheese ( or small curd cottage cheese)
2 lbs. of Mozzarella Cheese
Lasagna Noodles ( NOT cooked)
1/2 C. water

Brown hamburger. Add garlic to the meat while browning. Salt to taste.
Drain.




Put hamburger back into pot.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.




Add Oregano, Basil, and bay leaves.



Let simmer. ( for at least 30 mins.)

Get a 9x13 casserole dish. Spray with cooking spray.
Remove bay leaves from sauce. ( they give a wonderful flavor to the sauce, but are not good to eat)









Put a small layer of meat sauce in the bottom of the dish.



Put a layer of lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce.



Spoon the ricotta cheese over the noodles.



Pour a layer of mozzarella cheese over the ricotta.


Continue layering.





Meat sauce, noodles, cheeses.
You will be able to get four layers in a 9x 13.
The topping will be the small amount of meat sauce left in the pot.






Drizzle that over the last layer of cheese.


Take 1/2 cup of water and pour evenly around the outside edge of the lasagna.* This is a suggestion from Paula Deen. I do everything Paula says. It works. Your lasagna will be so moist. I promise you will thank me.


Cover with foil.




Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Take the lasagna out and let it stand for about 10 minutes.


This will give you time to put the bread in the oven and put the finishing touches on your salad.




Enjoy! I promise your taste buds will thank you!!!





Posted by Picasa

No comments: